Spicy, sticky, sweet and crispy. These vegan chickpea wings are amazing. Jerk sauce, sweet mango dip. Need I say more?!
Chicken and waffles is a very interesting Southern staple. It sounds strange, but it is pure perfection. It was also just itching to be turned into a fantastic vegan dish. I have seen recipes for vegetarian chicken and waffles using pre-made fake chicken and pre-made waffles. So I wanted to create recipe from scratch that you could make pretty easily, and I would like to say, I think this may be the best vegan chicken I have ever tasted. I also made a Belgian style waffle, and it is the perfect pairing. Light, crisp and fluffy waffles, topped with the perfect vegan chicken. Pour on top my spicy maple syrup, and prepare for one of the best meals of your life!
I have been playing around with this idea for a while now, and I finally decided that the perfect base for the vegan chicken would be chickpeas. Mashed chickpeas mixed with poultry seasoning, no chicken broth and vital wheat gluten, make the perfect chicken tender type situation! They were absolutely delicious in every way! The texture was great! The taste divine, and the combination of waffle, chicken and syrup was outrageous!
I had some friends over for Sunday brunch, and I made a big batch of citrus Sangria, and these chicken and waffles. They were a big hit, and while filling and carby, I actually didn’t feel like total crap afterwards like I do when I am eating lots of other brunch and breakfast carbs. These are way lighter and healthier than you might think. I still had energy after eating waffles, which is saying a lot. I usually feel like I need a nap immediately after eating any waffles or pancakes. This dish is different!
You also don’t really need any special equipment to make the chicken which makes me feel great about sharing this with you. I know not everyone has a food processor or blender. All you have to do is mash your chickpeas, I just used a potato masher, but a fork would work, and then stir in the remaining ingredients! Voila, you are ready for your best ever vegan chicken! Obviously, you need a waffle iron for the waffles, but that is it. Also, I think everyone needs a waffle iron anyways. You can do amazing things with it!
Make this immediately! You won’t regret it, it will change your life. Well, if your life is food, like mine is, anyways! I hope you enjoy!
- 1 Can of chickpeas
- 1/2 C. Vital wheat gluten
- 3 Tbsp. No chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1 tsp. Liquid smoke
- 2 tsp. Poultry seasoning
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 C. Cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- 1 1/2 C. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 C. Cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 6 Tbsp. Veggie oil
- 2 C. Almond milk
- 2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. Water
- 1/2 C. Maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- Make the "chicken" first. Drain the chickpeas, and pour into a large mixing bowl. Mash pretty well, with a potato masher or a fork. You want a little texture, but mostly all mashed.
- Add the vital wheat gluten, the broth and all the seasonings. Mash all together, your hands may be the best tool for this. Mash and knead slightly until everything is combined and forms a dough. Shape into finger like shapes, so they look like chicken fingers.
- Heat about 1-1 1/2 in. of oil in a pan to about 300-350 degrees.
- Dredge the "chicken" in the cornstarch, and pat off excess. Once oil is hot, fry on each side for a few minutes until golden brown on each side.
- Make the waffles, add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir together.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add vanilla and oil and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the almond milk, and let sit for a few minutes until it curdles slightly creating vegan buttermilk.
- Make the flax eggs, by adding the flax meal to the water, whisk and let thicken for a minute.
- Add the vegan buttermilk, and flax eggs to the oil and vanilla. Whisk all together until fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until fully combined and smooth.
- Heat your waffle iron, and cook waffles according to your waffle iron's instructions.
- When the "chicken" and waffles are ready, whisk together the maple syrup and cayenne to make the spicy syrup.
- Serve a waffle with some "chicken" on top, and pour the syrup over all of it!